- Add a bit of liquid dishwashing soap to the stained area with a white rag or sponge.
- Blot the area with a clean, white rag or sponge. As with most stain removal steps, begin cleaning from the outside of the stain and work your way in.
- After blotting the stain, soak the area with water.
- Thoroughly blot the drenched area, using a white rag or sponge. Start on the outside and work your way in.
If it's an older stain, take the following steps:
- Mix 1/3 cup white vinegar with 2/3 cup lukewarm water.
- Carefully dab/sponge the area with the solution. This will remove most of the stain.
- Add a generous amount of water to the area and carefully blot the stain.
- Use a clean, dry white rag and blot the area again to remove excess water and any stain residue.
Although removing coffee stains is easy, as with most carpet stains, the sooner you can begin the cleaning process, the easier it will be to remove the stain.