If it's a fresh ink stain from a standard pen, take the following steps:
- Start by covering the stain with a white paper towel, then use just a little bit of pressure to carefully remove as much of the ink as possible from the carpet.
- Combine a little bit of milk with 1/4 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap.
- Using a toothbrush, apply the solution with a gentle, rubbing motion over the ink stain. It's important not to rub hard on the area as doing so can force the ink deeper into the carpet fibres. You just need to get the top area of the carpet fibres clean.
- Blot the stained area with a damp white paper towel then follow by gently blotting with a dry paper towel.
If the stain has been in the carpet for a long time, or if it's from permanent ink, you'll need to take the following steps:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and 1/2 cup of tepid warm water to make a cleaning solution.
- Rapidly, but gently, blot the stain with a clean white rag.
- Soak the area with water then blot again with a dry paper towel.
These steps will work to remove your ink stains. Keep in mind that it is always best to clean the stained area as soon as the spill occurs.